Endometriosis Awareness: Women's Invisible Illness

Because they are dear to my heart, each month I will be highlighting a cause. March is Endometriosis awareness month and I want to share some info about it with you. I learned about this illness about 2 years ago which inspired me to add this cause to my jewelry line. The women who have this illness are Warriors! See why below!



Endometriosis is a disease of the female reproductive system that affects approximately 1 in 10 women worldwide. Endometriosis occurs when the endometrial cells, or uterine lining cells, exist outside of the uterus. They can be found on the outside of the uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries, or on surrounding organs in the abdomen such as the intestines, bladder or rectum. Each month, the endometrial cells act as they should, by swelling and thickening, then bleeding. However, since they are outside of the uterus, this leads to endometrial lesions, which worsen over time and can cause severe pain. Learn more here


The exact cause is not known, however if a mother has it, it is 5 to 7 times more likely that her daughter will have it.

The most common symptoms of endometriosis are pelvic pain and infertility. For many women, the pain of endometriosis can be so severe and debilitating that it impacts her life so that she may not be able to carry out day to day activities.

There is no cure however, there are several options for managing the symptoms of endometriosis, including:
*Hormonal birth control
*Other hormonal therapies
*Diet/exercise
*Alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, massage, or homeopathic remedies
*Surgery 

Visit your doctor as soon possible if you are experiencing any symptoms. 

Celebrities who have endometriosis include Jillian Michaels, Whoopi Goldberg, Tia Mowry-Hardict, Dolly Pardon, and Marilyn Monroe. 



Do you know someone who has been affected by endometriosis?



Check out my inspirational endometriosis awareness jewelry Here.

Follow my cause awareness pinterest board for more tips and cause information.


~Be beautiful, inspired, and blessed!



Join me on Facebook! Follow me on Instagram! Join me on Pinterest!


Photobucket

Comments

  1. Hi Chari,
    I was diagnosed with endometriosis years ago. Thanks for highlighting this disease. I personally know what havoc this disease can cause. I'm hoping for a cure for this current generation of young women.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello lovelies! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

I hope it uplifts and inspires you! You comments are very appreciated!

~Smooches!